Friday, June 3, 2011

Life lessions

"You  Lose"
I was staring at these words flashing on my computer screen wondering why on earth these computers never play a bad move in chess. It was a hot monday afternoon at office and i was still in a hangover from a weekend b'day party of a friend. In a half asleep state, i made up my mind to try one more game whe suddenly my cell started vibrating. It was vishu, a former colleague of mine, who had recently quit job at our office. He was of my age, with a lean physique but was very highly motivated towards his life. He was one of those guys, who are beaming with energy in their eyes, always pumped up, grabbing every oppurtunity with both hands and making a fortune out of it. In other words, a complete contrast to me.
well, i picked the phone.
hello..ankush????
yeah...hey buddy....wassup...how are you?
am good..where are you?
in office...whereelse ,  trying to humble the black knight....i said with a sigh.
"Games hi khelta rahio tu...."..okay listen..you want some work..i have a job for you...
sure..i affirmed...how it gonna work??
hmmm...come to sector 34 right now...i'll see you there....saying this , he hung up.
i gave my computer a "damn you" look, told my manager about an ailing relative and left office.
Vishu was there, along with an all suited up guy.
well, looks like somebody gonna get interviewed right here, i murmured.
After five minutes, i was seated along with that suited guy in the back seat of a car with vishu in front.
So Ankush, where do you work?..that guy asked
At RMS, he's my ex-colleague, i said pointing towards Vishu.
okay..you know why are you here?
yeah.....its supposed to be an interview..i said sceptically.
No, its not like that..he smiled.
I was wondering by then about what were both those guys upto??...were they were a part of some communal brotherhood or something like that.
Ankush, actually we are doing a kind of business, he said while taking out a truck load of brochures from his bag.
Now the game was clear to me. He was a kind of agent with a company which dealt in man to man networking. Their motive was to make members and sell them those expensive things which no one in their right minds would buy. Me, being the most laziest guy around would have been the last guy on this planet to do such kind of work, because no matter how scintillating these things look at first hand, they often end up using people.
okay..ankush..tell me what do you want in your life....like say your two wishes.
who is this guy....a genie...i wondered.
i gave him a puzzled look.
look, everyone wants something in their lives...right..like big cars, houses, foreign trips...like that ,tell me about the two things you desire most...
i was really pissed by that time...who is this guy, i thought and why on earth he thinks i would tell him these things...so again a blank face from my side.
Maybe he also sensed my hesitation, so he spoke once more.... hmmmm..like my favorite car is that one..he said pointing towards an Audi Q7 there, i really wanna buy one ...like that which one is yours??
Bugatti Veyron...i said
and how much it costs?? he asked after a brief pause.
6.20 crores (that was its international price then, it was launched in India 2 years later at thrice the price i quoted there)
hearing that, Vishu started smiling at mine sheer foolishness.
But that suited guy was still unnerved. There is something about these so called exceptionally good salesmen. They never give up, even the other guy is the most irritating one, they are always calm, setting up their traps like a tiger closing in on its prey and will keep on cornering their catch slowly and slowly until he gives in.
He gulped some water and said, okay, you are different, at least you know how much your dream is worth. (it wasn't my dream anyway, just a passing infatuation..he made it my dream)
and more importantly, he resumed, at least i know that i am not wasting my time with someone who doesn't knows the worth of his dream.
So, how you gonna get this Ducatti of yours? he asked calmly...(it was Bugatti, but i din't interrupted him)
i have no idea, i said (actually i had one, getting into a quiz show and winning the maximum, but i dint wanted to appear more fool by saying so)
He smiled at that, sensing a prospect in me for the first time.
Okay, i'll come to that later on, what's your other major wish...what you want to become in your life?
i wanna be a writer, i said with eyes wide open.
hmm...for that you don't need any money. You can become one whenever you want.
Being a writer had been  mine ambition since i was a kid. It was a pristine wish, and here was this guy, trying to use it for selling me some cosmetic products, telling me that becoming a writer was as easy as yawning in office.
I looked at vishu, trying to interpret that i am blocking you from my contacts lists right after getting out of this goddamned car, you son of a bitch.
After thirty minutes, i left that place after getting registered with them, with a puzzled expression on my face. often, we go barging at some place expecting something and we get something else in reality, which eventually is the last thing we wish to encounter. i smiled, returning to my office, i thought about my computer, which was again ready to defeat me...well , that din't bothered anymore then..atleast it will do that fair and square. In Life, its much easier to deal with m,achines, then with people. lessons learnt.



 

No comments: